The SHARE Institute's Leadership Program
The SHARE Institute fosters cross-cultural opportunities to share ideas and technical know-how. This program is specifically designed for college students, with the purpose of introducing them to international development issues. Participants from the general public are also welcomed if they are interested in global and development issues. The program provides leadership skills through work done both domestically and internationally.
This internship program is focused on health and social issues, but is not limited to these fields. Internships can be arranged based on many of SHARE's existing partnership and program opportunities. There are no fees for internships conducted at the SHARE Institutes office in Fair Oaks, California. The Leadership Program continues to be a vital part of the The SHARE Institute. Approximately ten to twelve students are selected to join our leadership program every semester.
Young women and men may participate in this internship program. By the end of the three-month program, the participants will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Effective communication skills, using culturally and linguistically appropriate approaches
- Effective use of human and computer-based resources that support their interactions
- Effective cross-cultural interactions
- Skill in developing proposals or reports that effectively document the process and outcome of interactions
General public participants in this internship program will:
- Demonstrate effective cross-cultural communication skills
- Exchange ideas and interests with partner organizations and individuals from a variety of cultures
Interns participate in a variety of activities such as:
- Preparing and participating in fundraising events
- Preparing donations for other non-profit organizations serving the homeless or victims of domestic violence
- Attending public speaking events
- Attending international and domestic conferences
- Learning about philanthropy and the world of non-profit organizations
- Communicating with SHARE-funded project staff members in developing countries
- Preparing to work in the area of helping others abroad. SHARE's interns have worked in South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Eritrea, Egypt, and Yemen
- Supporting a selected number of non-profit organizations in the Sacramento area
For more examples of projects, please see the Domestic Program page.